In the past visual road inspection (walking along the road, or driving at the shoulders of the road) was the best way to inspect the quality of the asphalt. The human eye and the experience of the inspector was important to perform a good site survey. Due to safety reasons the market was looking for safer solutions. In 2008 Horus introduced video based mobile mapping not only as a safer way, but also as a solution with the following advantages:
- Better inspection view of the fast driving lanes;
- Transparent solution to convince all stakeholders of one clear picture of the condition;
- Possibility to share the knowledge of experienced workers with their new colleagues; the can share knowlegde while sharing the images physically in the same room or via remote solutions;
- Saving lifes, not only from inspectors, but also of the traffic around them.
- Working digital makes it possible to let the experience inspectors draw their findings on top of the video, this data automatically gets its dimensions and turns into GIS data that can be used by other programs.
Horus created software to capture high resolution video cameras that are suitable for these purposes. This software can be attached to cameras that you might use, but Horus delivers also turn key road solutions for this. Often these hardware is combined with the Citymapper turnkey solution.
Since the emergence of Artificial Intelligence, the repetitive findings of the inspectors can be turned into (self learning) models. AI companies with experience in image recognition can make use of existing Horus technology to query imagery in a clever way (several GIS projections, Image projections, field of view functions). One of the quick start software solutions is the Horus Ortho Projection software.
One of our clients tells how they build their solution on top of Horus Technology.
If you are interested in these kind of manual or AI solutions we can get you in touch with one of our partners.